As a recognized nonprofit organization, we operate an online thrift store on eBay where you can browse a bunch of weird stuff that we either find or else have donated to us in a never-ending garage sale. All proceeds earned from eBay sales go toward our organization’s operating expenses.
If you have some material surplus that you would like to rid yourself of for the benefit of all beings, by all means, do list it on eBay and donate the proceeds to literally any nonprofit you can name. It doesn’t have to be us. There are genuinely a lot of really great nonprofits out there who would benefit from the dollars you could generate just offloading your crap.
- EBay’s guide to listing your items for charity (pdf)
Benefits of Selling Your Stuff on eBay for Nonprofit Causes
- Altruism: Selling items for charity gives individuals a really simple way to support causes they care about.
- Eco-friendliness: Selling items on eBay promotes the reuse and recycling of goods, reducing waste and the demand for new products. This can be an environmentally conscious decision and can also support charities focused on sustainability.
- Decluttering: maybe charity can motivate you to rid your life of unused or unwanted items. You can feel good about letting go. It’s ok. Let that ish go.
- Tax benefits: Donating to charity can provide tax benefits, as charitable donations may be tax-deductible. By selling items on eBay and donating the proceeds, individuals can potentially receive tax advantages while also supporting a worthy cause.